Call for Entry
Hatch Art presents an artist in residence program for both national and international artists to create and share artwork that engages the local community in Hamtramck, MI.
Hamtramck Disneyland is a beloved folk art installation created by Dmytro Szylak, a retired auto worker and political refugee from Ukraine. Szylak assembled the sprawling, colorful installation spanning two adjacent properties over several decades before passing away in 2015.
Hatch Art seeks artist-led projects featuring public art such as installations, murals, and performance art that engages the community on the Disneyland site, and within the surrounding diverse community of Hamtramck, MI. Each artist in residence will be required to create a specific artwork as presented in a statement of intent. Artists are encouraged to be creative about how their work engages with the community.
How to apply
Register through the link below and submit a 250 word statement of intent, CV, and link to personal website to be considered for the first round of residencies. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis for future residencies. Send questions about the program to email@example.com.
Hamtramck Disneyland Residency is situated in Hamtramck, MI, a walkable community inside Detroit. The residency space features:
- large shared 2-bedroom furnished apartment with artist studio space (utilities included)
- small gallery space
- garage workshop
Artist will be responsible for:
- housing cost of $250.00/month
- travel expenses to and from Hamtramck
- local transportation
- living expenses and art supplies
Hatch Art is happy to assist with and provide throughout your residency:
- Furnished living space and kitchen
- Local guidance in the city and region
- Connections with area artists, art spaces, organizations, museums and universities
- Multipurpose space(s) for art exhibition, talks, workshops, meetings, and performances
- Bicycle for local transportation and assistance navigating Detroit's transit options
- Equipment and material resources when available and/ or direction to local sources
- Documentation, community engagement and promotion